What does that mean?
The existing tax credit for adoption expenses reduces a filer’s tax liability dollar for dollar, but only up to the amount you owe.
Refundable tax credits can result in cash payments from the IRS if the credit reduces the taxpayer’s liability below zero.
New legislation to restore refundability for the Adoption Tax Credit has been introduced in Congress – please take action now to email your Members of Congress and ask them to cosponsor S. 2895/H.R. 3662, the Adoption Tax Credit Refundability Act.
Messages can be sent through this link, and full instructions are below: https://adoptiontaxcredit.org/take-action/contact-congress/
Please follow the instructions below to take action to ask your Members of Congress to cosponsor S. 2895/H.R. 3662, the Adoption Tax Credit Refundability Act.
In 2017, the voices of adoption advocates successfully saved the Adoption Tax Credit from being eliminated in tax reform. With the recent reintroduction of this legislation in the Senate, we believe that now is the right time to make a push to build support for this legislation to restore refundability to the Adoption Tax Credit.
- Go to https://adoptiontaxcredit.org/take-action/contact-congress/
- Enter your contact information
- You will review three messages (two to your Senators, and one to your Representative)
- Feel free to add more personalization to your message.
- Note: Some Members of Congress are already cosponsors – in which case a “thank you’ message will appear, instead of a message asking them to cosponsor. You can send the thank you message as is, or customize it if you choose.
- After you have reviewed the third message, press SEND.
Thank you for taking action and supporting the Adoption Tax Credit!